What is the most reasonable treatment?
- 37 year-old asymptomatic female with a psychiatric history of ingested foreign bodies. Which is the most reasonable treatment?
Supine radiograph of the abdomen
- Immediate surgery
- Endoscopic removal
- Follow-up in several days
- Administer emetics
- Administer Diazepam
Additional Images - Supine radiograph of the abdomen
Supine radiograph of the abdomen 2 days later
3. Follow-up in several days
More (Click Discussion Tab)
- Battery ingestion primarily involves disk or button batteries ingested by children
- Lithium button batteries of 20 mm pose a particular hazard in the esophagus where the current generated by the negative (narrower) side may cause damage within hours after ingestion so that expedited removal is best for this size and type of battery
- Alkaline batteries, those most commonly used in flashlights, tend to produce their adverse effects through release of caustic chemicals